Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Book Mania

I think I might have one (small surprise to those that know me). Scott plaintively asked a week ago or so if I might possibly move some of the books on the floor next to my side of the bed? He couldn't get the bedroom door properly open or closed! I think I redistributed approximately 20 books to various bookcases. Books that I've read recently, I mean. I read when Mara lays down for her nap (hah! Her time lying on her own bed, reading), I read before I go to sleep. I finish a book every few days.

Recently I've found two really good ones I'd like to share:

*With Christ in the School of Prayer by Andrew Murray* -- this is apparently a classic in religious works, though I had never found it until I noticed a mention of it in a Grace Livingston Hill book. Murray was a Dutch Reformed pastor in the late 1800s. This book is incredibly accessible, and I've found it brought up serious issues about prayer life which I can't believe I never considered before. I've been highlighting/underlining/annotating, and I think it would be easier to mark the places I WASN'T especially struck -- certainly, it would save ink to do so.

*The Love Affairs of an Old Maid by Lilian Bell*--another oldie-but-goodie. I think mine has a publication date of 1901. I bought it largely for the great title and beautiful binding, but it's such an excellent read. In diary-type form (well, the narrator is speaking, technically, to her cat), Bell brings up the most thoughtful points about love and marriage -- classic advice and philosophy, no matter whether one is currently embroiled in either one or not! I'll read this again, many times.

love, kristin

1 comment:

  1. Have you ever read any of the Reginald Hill mysteries? In one book a relationship is often imperiled because one partner is a bookaholic and the other partner insists that the books stay out of the bedroom ;-]! I've gone to getting my books from the university library until I get my own place. As it is, I've got eight book boxes I've never unpacked!! Thanks for the recommendations! RMW

    ReplyDelete