Thursday, June 11, 2009

Oh, My Darling Students ... I Shall Miss Them

That is entirely in earnest, by the way. I enjoy the students I work with--and not just because the things they write make me laugh! They are dear young people, really. Here are some wonderful thoughts from the final essay exam they turned in Monday. As background, they were writing on an essay by Gloria Anzaldua titled "How to Tame a Wild Tongue," which explores the question of language and dialects and the prejudice sometimes tied up with them (even within one's own race group -- in her case, the Chicanos):

* "In writing 'How to Tame a Wild Tongue,' Gloria Anzaldua explains how it is very difficult to live in the United States and not be made fun of." [Especially if you're traveling in France, I suppose.]

* "She suffers from what we now know as Chicano dialect." [Ah. I suppose Scott has had patients ask for antibiotics to cure this -- they've asked for them for every OTHER possible reason!]

Anyway, now you know. It's an interesting essay, if you ever get to read it! Happy Thursday! love, kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment